April 11, 2012

My Last Bet with Angelo | When did Katniss Everdeen decide to kill President Alma Coin?

An excerpt from The Mockingjay, book three of the Hunger Games series:

“I feel the bow purring in my hand. Reach back and grasp the arrow. Position it, aim at the rose, but watch his face. He coughs and a bloody dribble runs down his chin. His tongue flicks over his puffy lips. I search his eyes for the slightest sign of anything, fear, remorse, anger. But there’s only the same look of amusement that ended our last conversation. “Oh, my dear Miss Everdeen. I thought we had agreed not to lie to each other.”

He’s right we did.

The point of my arrow shifts upward. I release the string. And President Coin collapses over the side of the balcony and plunges to the ground. Dead.

.......................................................................................

Question:

Do you think Katniss planned to kill Coin before she went out to supposedly execute Snow, or did she make that decision to kill Coin right when she was about to shoot the arrow?

My answer: Katniss planned to kill coin before Snow's execution.
Angelo's answer: It was a last-minute decision.

The winner's prize: One pack of Virginia hotdog

Some thoughts:

When Katniss agreed to continue the Hunger Games using Capitol children (as a tribute to Prim), I was sure Katniss was forming a strategy in her head. Suzanne Collin's novel is an allegory of sorts and one thing that you could reflect upon as you read the book is that if you replace one form of government, you could be replacing it with an equality ineffective, albeit different form or government.

The Hunger Games was the very symbol of the dictatorship and oppression of the Capitol. Katniss, the Mockingjay, was the symbol of freedom. Katniss couldn't have been truly supporting Coin's plan to continue the Hunger Games.

No comments: